Fatigue. Foggy thinking. Brittle nails. Pale skin. These are just some of the issues associated with low iron in the blood. It’s not fun and many times gets overlooked because the issues can be so subtle. Iron is important because it assists the red blood cells in transporting oxygen to the body. If the body is low in iron then it has to work harder, leaving you low in energy or having a hard time focusing.
This is where we introduce Yellow Dock. This is an herb that is usually considered a pesky weed that, once established, is hard to get rid of. That is probably because it can contain as much as 40 percent iron compounds. It’s tough in nature, but the good news is that it’s so easy on your body. Taking a tablespoon of Yellow Dock decoction can assist the body in replenishing healthy iron levels. Also, because it supports the liver and assists the body in stimulating bile flow, Yellow Dock is great for the digestive system and does not constipate the body.
Try this recipe for Yellow Dock Decoction:
- 2 ounces Yellow Dock root, cut
- 1 quart Distilled Water
- 2 Tbsp. Honey, if desired
- Put yellow dock root into a glass quart jar and cover with boiling distilled water. Let sit overnight.
- Next day, empty into pan and heat on the stove on low, uncovered. Reduce to about 1-1/2 cups.
- Strain and squeeze through prepared broad cloth (pre-rinse broad cloth in hot water to get rid of the stiffening agent).
- Add 2 Tablespoons of honey, if desired.
Take 1 Tablespoon per day; 2 Tablespoons if symptoms are severe.