Onions are not only fun to use if you want to pretend you are crying, they are also one of those great foods that have tons of uses. One of our favorites is the age-old practice of making a poultice. This method helps the body pull congestion out of the lungs and the ears.
- Chop 1 onion and sweat it in a pan.
- Wrap it in muslin (or even a pillowcase).
- For symptoms associated with chest congestion, set it on your chest for about 20 minutes.
- For symptoms associated with ear aches, set it on your ear for about 20 minutes.
- The same onion can be used twice, just sweat again and apply as before.
**If it is too hot, you may need to place a dry towel between the poultice and your skin.
Sweating an Onion with no Sweat
- After you slice the onion, heat some oil in a pan to medium-low heat.
- Add the onion.
- Stir/shake to prevent sticking or burning.
- The onion will get soft, then translucent, and it will give up liquid (“sweat”).
- Take the onion out of the pan and use it at this point.
Let’s thank our pungent friend for his healing gifts, so his reputation no longer precedes him!