Pillow + Herbs = Sweet Dreams
We’d like to introduce you to the herbal dream pillow. The practice of placing herbs under one’s pillow dates back centuries, but in modern times it can be a great way to share the fragrance of herbs with friends or family while also promoting a good night sleep for those same loved ones. Herbal dream pillows can be made with any leftover fabric (preferably cotton or muslin), decorated in any way you want, and filled with any herbs you choose. It makes a great gift (or is wonderful for some self-pampering) and can last for months when stored in a night stand or drawer.
Here is a recipe for an herbal dream pillow taken from the book Organic Body Care Recipes.
- ¼ cup chamomile flowers
- ¼ cup lavender buds
- ¼ cup lemon balm leaves
- ¼ cup rose petals
- ¼ cup hops
- 2-3 drops lavender, Roman chamomile, geranium or neroli essential oil
- 1 3×5-inch muslin drawstring bag or decorative soft fabric pouch
- Place all the herbs together and blend them in a bowl.
- Add the essential oil of your choice and blend some more.
- Loosely stuff your pouch with the herb mixture and tie or sew it tight. Store away from heat and light.
The herb amounts suggested are a close approximation of what you’ll need for a small pillow, but results can vary depending on your bag size. Just be sure not to stuff it so tight that the herbs can’t breathe or move.
This herb combination is great for relaxation, but be sure to look up some others. Some combinations work in different ways together (i.e. Rosemary and Mugwort mixed together have been known to promote vivid dreams while Chamomile is something that just relaxes). Have fun with it and see what you like.