They were well-known in the 70’s and 80’s for growing your own pet, but little did we know how nutritious those little chia seeds really are. And now it seems they are popular for the right reasons. Follow any health blog online and you’ll find all sorts of recipes using Chia Seeds. Why? Because they are incredibly good for you!
- Chia seeds are naturally high in omega-3 fatty acids and calcium, which can assist the body to reduce inflammation, improve brain function and help the body with cholesterol.
- They are a complete protein because they contain all nine essential amino acids.
- Because of its high vitamin and mineral content, it can help promote strong bones, beautiful hair, skin and nails.
- They are also high in antioxidants and minerals, which can help protect the body from free radicals and aging.
- Additionally, they are an excellent source of fiber and especially helpful to the small intestine.
- Chia seeds will help keep the body hydrated, which is a great natural alternative for long distance runners and athletes.
There are many Chia drinks on the market, but here is a homemade version you may want to try:
- Fill a mason jar 1/3 full with all natural Cranberry or Cherry Juice (both are good for digestion)
- Squeeze in two whole Lemons
- Add 5 Tbsp. of Chia Seeds
- Fill the rest of the mason jar with purified water
- Let sit overnight. The next day, drink the whole thing throughout the day.
Note: This may be refrigerated up to 4 days and is a great idea to prepare several at a time for a grab and go drink.